WEEK 20 REVIEW: Round-up of all the Corinthian League action from the weekend

WEEK 20 REVIEW: Round-up of all the Corinthian League action from the weekend

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address


The league leaders, Baiteze Squad, have moved into a four point lead at the top of the table following the weekend's results, overcoming a Total Football side at Hackney Marshes to record win number six in the league this term. Marcus Painter was the scorer for the visitors with their consolation effort but Baiteze were in good form once again to remain unbeaten.

The other top flight action came from Barkingside with a big clash between two rivals with Hatch Lane the visitors to face Critics at Old Parkonians.The game produced yet another thriller between these two sides with Critics racing into a lead before being pegged back to 3-2, setting up a grandstand finish. But Kazim Bishop's brace and a Dylan Florence goal proved enough for the hosts to earn all three points, moving fourth.


We're moving to the conclusion of the Division One Cup group stage and Barking Riverside remain leaders at the top with a two point lead with two games to go, having secured a home victory in Dagenham on Sunday against an in-form St Augustines side. Rajpal Bumbra and Solomon Asomah both scored twice for the hosts to make it four wins in five.

AC Milano continued their perfect record in the competition on Sunday, producing a third winning performance on the bounce to move their points tally up to nine points so far. They were 6-0 winners at home against their co-tenants at Flanders, Benchviews, a result which leaves the visitors needing two wins from their remaining games to stay involved.

Second placed Barking & Dagenham Wanderers have moved their points tally into double figures with two group games to go but were made to work for that point as they faced bottom of the group Wanstead in east London. Barking took a first half lead before that was levelled up by the hosts, the game ending in a 1-1 draw, Wanstead's first point of the group stage.

Over in Beckton, JK Silvertown's progress in the competition saw them bounce back well from last week's county cup disappointment but recording all three points at home against Cinoci, a result which keeps them in the top four for the time being. JK were 5-3 winners on the day to make it three wins in four meaning they will most likely need a couple more wins to ensure progression.


There was first round action in the Division Two Cup at Wadham Lodge at the weekend where East London Ballers were the visitors to take on an Ainslie side for a place in the quarter finals. Eric Kelly scored two and Charlie Wigg once for the hosts but a Ballers hat-trick from Yaya Bamba, two from Kishawn James and one each from Yousaf Mohamed, Qusay Mohammed and Abbas Osman made it an 8-3 win for the the visitors.

In the quarter-finals, two ties were completed with FC Galaxy producing a strong winning performance to book their place in the last four of the competition, coming through in a 6-3 winning scoreline away at Higham Hill to move just ninety minutes away from a final. Billy Harris, Billy Jago and Matthew Wobudeya all found the ball of the net for Hill but those efforts proved in vain by full-time.

Over at Fairlop Oak, there was a local derby fixture between Condor and Belfry who were also battling for a place in the semi-finals. Despite going into the game with a four point deficit on their promotion challenging opponents, it was Condor who produced the goods to win the tie 3-0 and set themselves up for a tilt at a cup final place, should they repeat their efforts in the last four.


In the league games to take place, Colebrook Royals Seniors took the chance to close the gap on the promotion places to just a single point but had to work hard for their seventh league win of the season, Cloud 9 the side to put in a sterling effort before Royals ran out 2-1 winners. Tom Sellers and Nedret Ozkasim were the men on target with their goals to keep them in the mix.

Over in east London, it was a slight case of de ja vu as Leytonstone Athletic were in home action for the second week running against Debden Sports Reserves, this time in a league fixture, but with a similar outcome as the game was edged by the odd goal in favour of Sports. Callum Thomas struck with the game's only goal to move Debden three spoints clear at the top of the table.


It was quarter-finals day for eight sides in Division Three and there were plenty of thrills and spills as South Ilford Catholics belied their league position to put their side into a maiden semi-final with the league following a 2-1 home win against City Site at the Rec. A goal each from Dylan Friday and Rilwan Kuku were just enough in the end to move them to ninety minutes away from a cup final potentially.

The last couple of years have seen Valence United feature in plenty of cup finals and they are one step away from that position once again as they produced an excellent away victory in Walthamstow against Asianos. Despite defeat in the league there, it was a 6-2 win this time around as Rowan Newland scored two with further efforts from Ashley Collins, Jack Howard, Tommy Abrams and Charlie Fiander.

Over at Parsloes Park, hosts Barking went into their home last eight clash against local rivals JP8 with the hopes of springing a surprise but the visitors were alert to the dangers and followed up their excellent first round win by bagging an 8-1 quarter-final win this time. Mason Deegan scored a aht-trick, Ryan Kelland bagged a brace, Alfie Bond, Louis Williams and Adam Rex scoring the others, rendering Kevin Mafuta's goal as just consolation.

Completing the action from the quarter-finals in Division Three, a very close contest in Newbury Park saw hosts Singh Sabha Barking welcome Upshire Forest, the two sides battling their way to a 2-2 draw at full-time as Jay Dignance's brace for the visitors was equalled by Barking goals from Jose Figura and Victor Ferrini. And it was Upshire who held their nerve in the shootout, winning that 5-3 to head into the semi-finals.


There was one league game to take place in addition to the cup football and that saw the league leaders, AC Milano Reserves, in action with a home fixture against United Amateurs at Flanders. Jack Chawner scored twice for the visitors to give them a foot in the game but the hosts struck three goals of their own to edge the game in a 3-2 scoreline by full-time.


There were two quarter-final ties in the Division Four Cup on Sunday and challengers for the league title, Woodford Town, successfully negotiated their last eight clash with Silencio in emphatic style, winning the tie 10-0 to head into the last four. Sonny Clarke scored four goals for Town, Morgan Radley netting two off the bench, with Bayley Clarke, Luke Dimond, Sam May-Parrott and Ben Smith also netting in the win.

A somewhat closer clash took place at Castle Green where it was a last eight tie in play once again for Cardinals Athletic and Prospect Protege. The sides started the game with just three points between them in an expectedly tight game and it was the slightly higher placed Prospect side who walked away winners, goals from Alexander Brennand, Tye Gittos and Ethan Kieran netting to earn a 3-2 victory.


With sides around them out of action, Warren Senior sniffed an opportunity to move closer to the league leaders as they faced up to a decent Byron Red Star side at Westlands. A close game was witnessed between the two sides, eventually settled by the goal as Warren won 3-2. Charlie Kennerson and Daniel Anderton scored for the visitors but Alfie Boland, Scott McGlynn and Brady Jones efforts for the hosts saw them take all three points.

Over at Wanstead Flats, it was seventh versus ninth in the division's other league fixture as Eastern Avenue saw the visit of Horse & Well, both sides still in desperate need of points to steer clear of the drop. Despite just a small gap on paper, it was a comprehensive win for the hosts as Avenue won 7-0 to record their fifth league win of the season, moving them up a place into sixth.


In the Division Five Cup, there was a big quarter-final between two of the division's in-form teams with May & Baker EC in home action with the visit of league leaders, Manford Way. And it was the league leaders who walked away the happier of the sides, producing a strong performance in front of goal to win 6-0. Charlie Moore and Herman Mwanza both scored twice with Jake Li and Brendon Osholake scoring the others to see Manford through.

At Hainault Rec, another of the division's leading sides, Royal Lions B, also had quarter-final action ahead of them as they were up against an Alpha side keen to use the cup as a springboard for success. Just two places seperated the sides in the standings pre-game but it was the higher placed side who put their advantage to best effect, Royal Lions 4-0 winners in the game to head into the last four.


Back in the league, there was a key fixture towards the bottom end of the division where Young Royals were taking on an Athletic Newham side in their game at Ashton Playing Fields, just three points between them. But Newham were in good form and came away 5-3 winners to move fifth. Jamie Wooster scored a hat-trick for the visitors, Robert Wooster and Kieran Dickerson scoring the others to earn maximum points.

Tenth placed Hainault Athletic went into their home fixture on Sunday attempting to make up a seven place deficit on their lofty opponents, Mansfield Rangers, who sat well poised for a promotion challenge. But the game saw just a single goal at the Rec with the sides well matched, Jake Magson netting that effort for Rangers to give them an important 1-0 win.


There were goals galore in the Division Six Cup on Sunday, starting in Barkingside where the league leaders, Woodford Town Reserves made the short trip to take on an in-form FC Mexico side who have suddenly found their shooting boots in recent weeks. Town led early before being pegged back twice but eventually did what they wanted to do, running out 8-4 victors to secure their place in the last four.

The other tie also produced a thriller of a game as London Legacy and Valence United Reserves went to battle to try and earn themselves a semi-final spot, the sides combining to produce a 3-3 draw at full time. Mohamed Noor scored two and Rommel Wilson one for the hosts with Valence goals from Eligijus Dapkus, Kamal Mahoney and Kevin Bangura levelling it. Legacy held their nerve in the shootout however, winning that 5-4.


Mayfield Kings continued their decent form in the league from recent weeks to net themselves a local derby success with an "away" win against their Rec co-tenants, Barking Colts. Two strikes from Younes Ferhani and one apiece from Alex Vallance and Kiz Myaz were enough to earn the win, a result which saw Kings move up into fourth spot in the table.


In the Division Seven Cup, quarter-final action took place in Woodford as Epping Forest Falcons were at home in the last eight the visit of a lofty Warren United side placed four positions above their hosts going into the game. But cup football has the propensity to cause the odd shock and Falcons put in a sterling performance to win this 5-3 and move to within ninety minutes of a cup final place potentially.


The remaining league action begins with a big result affecting the top end of the table as, over at Redbridge Sports Centre, Ping City Phoenixes put one of their games in hand to good use to produce a strong winning performance against now second placed Ridgeway Rovers. Ezra Waterman was flowing in the goals with a hat-trick, Charlie Thompson also netting to give the hosts a 4-0 win.

That result was also a good one for Debden Sports A who followed up their fantastic cup win last time out with another victory against FC Leytonstone in the league this weekend, Sports returning from east London with all three points following a 5-0 success. Brendan Anamole and Shane Mitchell both scored twice, Neel Patel scoring the other, a result that put their side top of the table.

It was also a good day for previously bottom of the table Zone 4 Athletic who had a home fixture against Emerson & Upminster on Sunday and, despite the gap between the sides, it was Zone 4 who were able to record just a third win of the season. Goals from Teraun Davis, Craig Janes and Rio Mulimira were just enough to win it 3-2, rendering two goals from Daniel With off the bench as just consolation for a young Emerson side.


In the Plumstead Challenge Cup, Brook Athletic had a home fixture in the third round as they took on a Blackfen & Erith Athletic side who made the trip across the water. But they had to return home empty handied as Brook won the game 4-1 to head into the last sixteen.

Other News Articles

Return to news list