WEEK 21 REVIEW: Round-up of all the Corinthian League action from the weekend

WEEK 21 REVIEW: Round-up of all the Corinthian League action from the weekend

For our latest news and updates, please enter your email address


As a new month got underway, it was quarter-finals day for four clubs in the flagship Corinthian Cup, beginning with Brook Athletic's home fixture against Division Two's Colebrook Royals in Newbury Park. The Senior side made their loftier league position pay as Callum Ibe's hat-trick set them on their way, Youssef Moumen netting two and Harry Carter, Dion Johnston and Craig Jeakins scoring the others in an 8-1 success.

Over in Hainault, there was a local derby in the day's other tie as last season's finalists, Flyhouse Athletic, saw the visit of Critics who made the short trek along Forest Road to Fairlop. After success for Critics last week against their close rivals, they extended their form once again to secure an important win here, securing a 2-1 win against Flyhouse to head into the last four, Dean Florence and Dylan Broadley striking with the vital goals.


Three out of four quarter-finals were also completed in the Trophyland Cup too and a cupset prevailed from one of the games as Division Four's Silencio, themselves struggling to avoid the drop, took on and defeated Division Three's City Site at Fairlop Oak to earn themselves a memorable 5-2 win. That result was even more meaningful considering their sizeable defeat in the previous weekend's divisional cup quarter-final.

Over at Wanstead Flats, despite their differences in league positions, Division Four's bottom side Kit Out London put in one of their performances of the season to keep a rampant Woodford Town at bay, title chasing Town eventually edging a close game by the odd goal in a 2-1 scoreline to head through. Sam May-Parrott and Sonny Clarke scored for the visitors, overcoming Torren Darroux's strike for Kit Out.

The third tie saw Division Three's high-flyers, Singh Sabha Barking, entertaining Division Four's Eastern Avenue in Newbury Park for a place in the last four of the competition. It will be the hosts, Singh Sabha, who left the happier of the sides as they completed a 3-0 win courtesy of a brace of goals from Victor Ferrini and an effort from Ebenezer Fasoranti.


In the Endeavour Cup, it was a case of de ja vu as FC Mexico's opponents yet again this week were Woodford Town Reserves as the sides met in the league cup quarter-final this time around in Barkingside. After twelve goals in the game last weekend, this was always likely to see another high-scoring contest, and so it proved to be though Town will take the plaudits once again after a 10-2 success.


In the Senior Division action, Baiteze Squad had an east London derby game ahead of them at the weekend with a trip to Royal Docks to face Club 1017. The league leaders made a fast start and completed a 6-1 by full-time, their seventh win of the season to remain unbeaten at the top, sitting seven points clear of the chasing pack. Dean Onyeneke struck for the hosts but his effort proved consolation by full-time.

After the disappointment of last week's reverse in the league, reigning champions Hatch Lane were on the road once again on Sunday with a trip to Dagenham to take on FLY at Parsloes Park Hub, the visitors starting the day three points behind in the standings. Hatch ended the day slashing that deficit as they won 5-2 through goals from Tremayne Coley, Tarome Hemmings, Psaul Henry-Aimoglou, Mekael Williams and Nawttan Sanca.


In the Division One Cup, JK Silvertown have placed themselves in a strong position to confirm a slot in the last four with two games to go, overcoming one of big hurdles remaining by defeating fellow challengers, Barking & Dagenham Wanderers. JK were 2-1 winners at Robert Clack to make it four wins from five, moving level with the leaders, while Wanderers go into their last game probably wanting a win to guarantee themselves a place.

There was a cracker of a game in east London where Benchviews and Wanstead were in action against each other at Flanders, the former in the last chance saloon if they wanted to progress. Benchviews kept alive their diminishing hopes however with an enthralling 6-4 success, overcoming Stags goals from Owen Thompson (2), Ali Hamad and El Hadji Gueye with six of their own.


The sole league fixture from the second tier pitted together second versus third in the standings as St Augustines and Barking Riverside went in search of vital points in the race for promotion, just a point seperating them at the start of the game. And with such a small gap between the two, a draw was perhaps the bookies' favourites, the match ending 2-2. James Edelman and Mateen Khelifi struck for the Saints while Djo Mogege and Bukele Mukudi scored for Riverside.


It was a busy morning in Division Two with game of the day seeing the top two sides complete their dual for the season as leaders Debden Sports Reserves travelled to second placed Belfry at Fairlop. A close game saw Debden rescue a late 2-2 draw with goals from Joseph Cloake and Charlie Thomas enabling them to take a valuable point against their closest rivals, their lead at the top remaining at three points.

Moving up into fourth spot are Daglanta who have closed the gap on the promotion places themselves to just four points following a hard earned win away at Higham Hill on Sunday morning. That result secured the visitors a seventh league win in ten this term to keep them well placed while Hill remain bottom and eight points adrift of safety with six games to go.

There was a huge result for Leytonstone Athletic, the other side embroiled in a race to avoid the drop, who picked up a terrific away win on Sunday following their trip to FC Galaxy, the visitors running away 2-0 victors. A goal apiece from George Burton and Jack Kaminski proved vital for Leytonstone who recorded just a third league win of the season. 

After a difficult spell of results for the club, it was also a big morning at Wadham Lodge where visitors Cloud 9 went into their game against hosts Ainslie with a two point deficit to make up. And they did just that as Cloud 9 fought their way to a 3-1 victory, leapfrogging above their opponents in the process to move their side further away from danger in the lower reaches of the table.


In Division Three, it was a profitable morning for the league leaders, AC Milano Reserves, who opened up a five point lead in the race for the title following a comprehensive home victory against struggling a Barking side in East Ham. The leaders were 11-0 winners on the day, keeping them well placed with just five games of their league season still to go.

With fifteen points left on the table for them, Valence United are one of the sides in the mix to push the leaders and those around them for promotion, aided by their most recent success which saw them take all three points away at United Amateurs on Sunday. A close game was settled by the odd goal in three, Valence winning 2-1 with strikes from Rowan Newland and Charlie Fiander, rendering David Macauley's strike as consolation.


Warren Senior's strong season sees no end at present as they moved themselves into the semi-finals of the Division Four Cup on Sunday, coming away 5-2 winners at Westlands against Horse & Well to place themselves just ninety minutes away from a potential cup final. Anthony Cooke and Brady Jones both scored twice with Kane Ledeatte adding the other, overcoming Well goals from George Ayers and Kurt Freeney.


With other sides below them in cup action, that presented an opportunity for Colebrook Royals Reserves to get themselves into a stronger position, but ahead of them they faced a strong Byron Red Star side who were after league points themselves. A close game ensued with Royals eventually taking a 2-1 win, a result which moves them eight points clear in the title race. Jamie Meakin and Ethan Knight were the scorers of those vital goals.


The holders of the Division Five Cup, Lonsdale, were in action on Sunday with views to keep their hands on the silverware a while longer but ahead of them, they were facing an Athletic Newham side on home turf keen to spoil the party. A couple of Tim Mason goals and Robert Devlin's efforts meant that it was Newham who ran out 3-0 winners on the day, ending the visitors' strangehold on the competition.


The merry-go-round at the top of Division Five continues to amaze with another sequence of results seeing the leadership change yet again. The big result came from Hainault where previous leaders, Manford Way, saw their grip on the race loosen slightly as they fell to a 4-3 home defeat against fifth placed Alpha. Stephen Maitland scored two, Tirryn Nankivell and Marco Nunes netting the others for Alpha, rendering two Jake Li efforts and a Herman Mwanza strike as just consolation.

That result enabled Coppice Row to make their move once again, duly obliging with a narrow victory themselves to go two points clear at the top, though with teams below them having games in hand. Coppice scored the game's only goal in Woodford against Young Royals to net themselves a 1-0 win, Afolabi Olugbile the man on target with that vital effort.

Over at Hainault Rec, the other side involved in this great battle are Royal Lions B who now sit second in the standings and in with a real chance this season, their eighth league win of the season on Sunday seeing them produce a 4-1 home victory against Ace Athletics in the Forest Road derby. Thomas Alexander struck with the Ace goal in the game but that proved in vain in the end. 


An entertaining quarter-final tie in the Division Six Cup on Sunday pitted high-flying Chingford Athletic up against fifth placed Epping Royals at Town Mead with a spot in the last four on offer for the winners. The game ended up in a 2-2 draw at ninety minutes with little to seperate the sides, Joseph Bothwell's influence on Epping clean with two goals. And it was his side who held their nerve in the shootout to win that 3-1 and move ninety minutes from a final.


Back in the league, a huge result affecting the bottom end of the standings saw Titans United move closer to safety with five games of the season to go as they took on and defeated seventh placed Brymans Park to record a second league win of the season. Liam Sullivan scored twice for the hosts, Amir Salifu, Robert Ashdown and Scott Burrows also on target. Shane Taylor and Jamie Greenoff scored in reply for the visitors.

Mayfield Kings have been on a strong run of form in the league in recent weeks and they continued that success with a second successive win against Barking Colts, a run that has seen Kings climb as high as third place in the standings. They were 8-0 winners on Sunday, making it eight league wins for the season, Younes Ferhani scoring four, Kiz Myaz netting two and Dean Toussaint one.


Another side in fine form at present are Debden Sports A who have now found themselves in the semi-final of the Division Seven Cup, alongside their league form, producing a terrific 7-1 winning performance in Chigwell on Sunday against third placed Colebrook Royals A. Shane Mitchell bagged himself four goals, Brendan Anamole a brace and Neel Patel scoring the other as they now look forward to the last four.

Last season's cup winners, Ridgeway Rovers, are also safely through into the hat for the semi-finals after successfully navigating their home quarter-final against Emerson & Upminster at Peter May on Sunday, winning the game 5-1. Harley Hillman was in great form, netting a hat-trick, with Dillon Woods and Ammar Menouar scoring the others to set up a tie at Epping Forest Falcons.


In the league, Ping City Phoenixes extended their recent run of form with another victory, coming away 7-1 away winners against Zone 4 Athletic to enhance their credentials of a title push in the coming weeks. Jack Flood swept in a hat-trick, Luey Young netted two off the bench while Charlie Prevost and Ezra Waterman also got on the scoresheet too, James Walkinshaw scoring the Zone consolation goal in reply.

Over at Ashton Playing Fields, cup semi-finalists, Epping Forest Falcons and Gatcliffe, started the day two points adrift of each other in seventh and eighth places respectively in the standings. But Falcons were able earn themselves all three points and move above Gatcliffe following a 3-1 success, Tom Brown scoring the visitors' goal which proved just a consolation in the end.


There were mixed fortunes for our sides in the outside competitions on Sunday, beginning in the Essex Sunday Junior Cup where Division Two's East London Ballers long run of cup ties saw them make the trip down the A13 to Orsett to face a higher ranked Chadfleet United side. And it proved to be the end of the road in this competition, the hosts completing a 4-2 win to make the semi-finals.

In the West Essex Sunday Charity Trophy, it was quarter-finals day for two of our league sides as Division Six's Valence United Reserves went up against local rivals May & Baker EC from Division Five. Bakers were the side to come out of the tie with a win under their belts and a place in the last four, winning 3-0 in Dagenham.

Completing the fixture action for the day was the late kick-off in Lewisham as AC Milano took on the might of SE Dons in south east London in the third round of the Plumstead Challenge Cup. With Milano taking a very early lead, Dons levelled before the break, the game ending 1-1 at full-time. And it was the hosts who held their nerve in the shootout to win that 4-3.

Other News Articles

Return to news list